When you have to choose a rehabilitation facility for your parent, you often need to do so quickly. Your parent may be too ill to return home after a surgery or other procedure, but can’t stay in a hospital.
Don’t get blindsided. Consider these questions in advance, so you know what to look for in a rehabilitation facility in Atlanta.
Check with Friends
You or your parent may know other elderly people who’ve spent time in rehabilitation. Ask around and see what they have to say about different facilities in the area.
This will also allow you to cut through much of the evaluative process. If a friend or family member had a negative experience at a care facility, it’s much more likely that your parent will have a negative experience there, too.
Do Your Research
From there, start doing research on likely prospects. Your hospital or doctor may provide a list of potential facilities, and a quick online search may turn up more.
As you research, look for rehabilitation facility factors like:
- Is the facility specialized for rehabilitation? Some facilities only have rehabilitation as part of what they do. A specialized facility will likely provide better care. At the same time, keep an eye out for facilities that specialize in your parent’s particular condition.
- What’s the facility’s Medicare rating? A Medicare rating may not give you everything you need to know, but it’ll help you get a general picture of the facility.
- What do online reviews say? Like advice from family and friends, you can determine a lot about a facility from online reviews.
- What are the facility’s qualifications? All rehabilitation facilities should be accredited by either the Joint Commission or the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
- How many patients return home after receiving care? You want your parent back to normal life as soon as possible. If a high percentage of patients return to the hospital or a nursing home, something may be wrong.
Pay a Visit
Once you’ve narrowed down the list, pay your prospective facility a visit, preferably with your parents. You may or may not be able to tell much from this visit since you’re not a medical professional and the facility will put its best foot forward.
But you’ll have the chance to talk more with doctors and staff, and you’ll learn more about care and the rhythms of life here. With this information, you and your parent will be able to make a decision you’re comfortable with.
Choosing a rehabilitation facility is a major decision. By gathering as much information as possible and going in with your eyes open, you’ll make sure your parent is in good hands.
Angel Companions Senior Care delivers in home elderly care services to all 27 metro Atlanta counties including the cities of Sandy Springs, Canton, Smyrna & more. If you have any questions please use our contact page form or call us today at 770-579-5000!