Providing care to someone who cannot take care of themselves is noble work indeed. But being a home care agency caregiver can be difficult and stressful, and if you’re not careful it can take a toll on your health. Read on to learn about some of the signs of caregiver stress, and how to best take care of yourself while pursuing this noble but challenging career.
Signs of Caregiver Stress
Caregiver stress has several warning signs. By keeping an eye out for these signals, you can take steps to relieve the stress you experience before it becomes overwhelming. Signs of caregiver stress include:
- feeling overwhelmed
- feeling tired
- feeling alone or helpless
- feeling irritable or annoyed
- feeling sad or worried
- headaches and body aches
- sleeping less or more than usual
- eating less or more than usual
- losing interest in things you once enjoyed
- becoming sick more often
- using or abusing alcohol or drugs.
These symptoms may develop slowly, or they may appear out of the blue. Either way, it’s important to take them seriously and address them as they appear.
Keep in mind that none of these signs mean you’re “weak” or that you can’t handle elderly caregiver roles. These signs just mean it’s time to take care of yourself.
Relieving Caregiver Stress
Thankfully, it’s easy to relieve stress. By taking any of the following steps, you can reduce your feelings of burnout while working for a home care agency in Atlanta:
- Ask for and accept help. Being a professional doesn’t mean you should go it alone. If you need assistance, ask your agency for it — that’s part of what they’re there for.
- Set self-care goals. It’s important to value your own health like you value your clients’ health. Set reasonable, attainable self-care goals for yourself, like getting enough sleep, eating enough fruits and vegetables, exercising a few times a week, drinking enough water or keeping a personal diary.
- Connect with others. Other resources can help you deal with caregiver stress. Look for professional and personal support groups, and seek out educational resources. While many people respond to stress by isolating themselves, others know that personal relationships can be a wellspring of support, too.
- Talk to your doctor. Keep your doctor informed, and ask if he or she has recommendations on how to lessen the stress you experience. Mention any concerns you have during your appointment.
Professional caregiving is rewarding but challenging work. By noticing the signs of burnout as they appear and taking steps to reduce stress, you’ll be able to take excellent care of your elderly clients and do the work you love for years to come.
Angel Companions Senior Care is a home care agency that has the most experienced and trained senior caregivers in the Atlanta area. Every caregiver is carefully hand-selected, background checked and carries a CNA license.
Our caregivers are our greatest asset and we love the amazing stories of care and love they give to our clients on a daily basis. Take a look at some of the amazing elderly care testimonials from our clients about our caregivers.
Angel Companions provides in home elderly care, respite care, and personal care services to all 27 metro Atlanta counties including the cities of Buford, Stockbridge, Peachtree City, Woodstock, Lawrenceville, Marietta & more. If you have any questions please use our contact page form or call us today at 770-579-5000!